Camp Awana is owned by the North Side Gospel Center in Chicago, IL. and is operated by Latham Christian Camping in Chicago, IL
DOCTRINAL STATEMENT OF CAMP AWANA
1) We believe that the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, is supernaturally inspired, so that it is inerrant in the original manuscripts and preserved by God in its verbal and plenary inspiration, so that it is a divinely authoritative standard for every age and every life. (Matt. 5:18; I Cor. 2:13; “Tim. 3:16; II Peter 1:21)
2) We believe in one God that eternally exists in three persons – Father, Son, Holy Spirit – having each the same nature, attributes and perfections, worthy of our submission and confidence. (Matt. 3:13-17; 28:19, 20; John 1:1-14; 10:30;14:15-17; Heb. 1:1-3) We believe in God as absolute and sole creator and sustainer of the universe, and that creation was by divine command, from nothing, and not through an evolutionary process. (Acts 17:24-28; Gen. 1-3) We believe that God, by His sovereign choice and out of love for men, sent Christ into the world to save sinners (John 3:16; I Tim. 1:15).
3) We believe that Jesus Christ in the flesh was fully God and fully man, that He was born of a virgin and that He lived a sinless life, in which He taught and performed mighty works and wonders and signs exactly as revealed in the four gospels, that He was crucified, shed His blood, and died to pay the penalty for our sins and was raised bodily from the dead on the third day; Forty days later He ascended to the Father’s right hand where He is head of the church and intercedes for believers. From there He is coming again personally, bodily, and visibly to this earth to set up His millennial kingdom. (Heb. 1:1-2; 7:25; Luke 1:30-35; Eph. 4:8; John 1:1-14; 14:3; Col. 2:9; I Cor. 15:3-4; Acts 1:3,11)
4) We believe that the Holy Spirit is a person and is God, possessing all the divine attributes. He convicts of sin, regenerates, indwells, baptizes, and seals all believers at the moment of their salvation, filling them in response to yieldedness with the goal of conforming them to the image of Christ (John 3:5; 15:26; 16:7-11; Eph. 1:13; 4:30; 5:18; I Cor. 6:19; 12:13)
5) We believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God, but that in .Adam’s sin the race fell, inherited a sinful nature, and became alienated from God; and that all men are morally corrupt, and of themselves, utterly unable to remedy their lost condition. (Gen. 1:26-27; Rom. 1:18; 3:23; 5:12; Eph. 2:1-3, 12)
6) We believe that salvation is a gift of God and is received by man through persona! faith in Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for sin. We believe that man is justified by grace through faith apart from works and that all true believers, once saved, are kept secure in Christ forever. (Acts 13:38,39; Rom. 4:5; 6:23; 8:1., 38·39; John 10:27-30; Eph. 2:8-10)
7) We believe that the true church is composed of all persons who are regenerated by the Holy Spirit through saving faith in Jesus Christ, and that they are united together in the body of Christ of which He is Lord and Head, and are commissioned for the God-given tasks of worshiping, fellowshipping, teaching, evangelizing, and exercising spiritual gifts. (Acts 2:42,47; 14:27; Rom. 12:5; Eph.1 :22-23; 5:23-24; I Cor. 12:12-14; II Cor. 11:2)
8) We believe that a Christian should walk in holiness and not after the flesh, with the goal of being conformed to the image of Christ. As a new creation, walking in the Spirit, the Christian Iearns to grow in faith, in obedience to Scripture, in prayer, in fellowship with the Saints, and in a life of service. We believe that the Christian will stand before the judgment seat of Christ there to have his life evaluated according to his deeds. (Gal. 5:16-26; Heb. 10:25; Eph. 4:20-24; Heb. 11:6; 12:1-2; John 17:17; Eph. 6:18;Rom. 8:29; II Cor 5:10)
9) We believe in the personal and imminent return of our Lord Jesus Christ. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead, of the believer to everlasting glory and the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment. (I Thess. 4:13-18;1 Cor. 15:51-52; Titus 2:11-13; John 14:1-6; Matt. 25:46; Rev. 20:11-15; II Peter 3: 10)
10) The ordinances for the believer are water baptism by immersion and the Lord’s Supper as a memorial. They are however, not to be regarded as a means of salvation. (Matt. 28:19-20; Acts 2:38; 8:12; 35-38; Luke 22:19-20; I Cor. 11:23-29)
MARRIAGE AND SEXUALITY
We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning and that is marriage sanctioned by God which joins one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture.
We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to only occur between a man and a woman who are married to each other. We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of marriage between a man and a woman.
We believe that any form of sexual immorality, such as adultery, fornication, homosexuality, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, pornography or any attempt to change one’s sex, or disagreement with one’s biological sex, is sinful and offensive to God.
We believe that in order to preserve the function integrity of the church as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to the church members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by the church and the Latham Christian Camping (LCC) in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers, should abide by and agree to this Statement on Marriage and Sexuality and conduct themselves accordingly.
We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ.
We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with scripture nor the doctrines of the church.