Kurt Halvorsen – Executive Director
Kurt grew up in Elmwood Park, IL. He attended Camp Awana starting at a young age. After graduating high school, Kurt attended Illinois State University and got involved with Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ). Kurt transferred to Moody Bible Institute in January 1994 and graduated in 1997. Kurt served as a Student Pastor for 15 years at the following churches: Terrace Shores EFC, Bensenville Bible Church and Springbrook Community Church. Kurt married his lovely wife Kristy in June 1999 and they have 3 kids: Bryce, Trent and Mackenzie.
- Elmwood Park High School – Class of 1992
- Illinois State University – Fall 1992-Fall 1993
- Moody Bible Institute – BA in Youth Ministry 1997
- Cabin Leader, Bible Teacher and currently Executive Director at Camp Awana
- Summer Missions Trip with Cru.
- High School leader at Inner City Impact.
- Student Pastor for 15 years.
- Volunteer at Cook County Youth Detention Center and Awana Clubs.
John Bishop – Camp Manager
John was born in Nigeria, Western Africa, and grew up in Niger. His parents, Gordon and Lena Bishop, were missionaries with SIM. His father was Canadian, so he spent much of his early years between Niger and Windsor Ontario when his parents were on furlough. John attended high school in Canada and lived at a boarding school while his parents remained in africa. After high school John served in the U.S. Army. John attended and graduated from Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. At Moody he met Howard Duncan, who would later become his brother-in-law, and introduce him to Camp Awana. John began volunteering at Camp Awana in the 1970’s and became the Camp Manager in 1980 where he still serves today with his wife Darlene.
- Kent Academy (Africa),
- Canada High School
- Moody Bible Institute
- Youth programs at the North Side Gospel Center
- Camp Awana
- Awana Junior High program at Emmaus Bible Church
Mark Van Natta – Buildings and Grounds Manager
Catherine Gallik – Buildings and Grounds
Bob Deyo – Food Service Manager